Thursday, August 4, 2011

Green Bay Triathlon

June 5th 2011 came fast.   I had joined a gym a this point becuase I needed a pool to train in.   Anyway I did my training and found swimming to be quite challenging.  I am an excellent swimmer but it's a different type of cardio workout but incredible good for you!  

I could barely sleep the night before I was so excited.   I didn't think my coworker that convinced me to do this was actually going to but he signed up two days prior to the event.   So this was a little different than most I was doing my first Triathlon and normally people will start with a sprint triathlon.   That consists of a .5 mile swim, 13 mile bike, and 3.2 mile run.   That didn't seem like a large enough challenge as I wanted to push myself so I decided to do an Olympic distance.   That is normally a 1 mile swim, 29 mile bike, and 6 mile run.  there isn't really a good lake in the area for this event to the swim had been shortened to a half a mile.  

Swimming was odd it was a big circle you swam in so by the time enough people got in the water it created a giant toilet bowl effect and became dificult to swim.   I got through that and on to the bike!!! 

So the bike was 29 miles but man that was fun.   riding with that many people is a ton of fun.  Mid way through I found a group that was at my pace and we talked for about 5 miles.    I did my bike ride in just under 1 hour and 29 minutes.  The worst part but also very lucky was when i made my last turn into the park to tranistion into the run my back tire blew.   I was able to get it to the transition area thankfully without damaging it but I still was bummed.   Overall  I was extremly happy but now came the hard part.   6 miles after swimming and biking was what I new was going to be a challenge.   I needed to get my legs to go numb and push through. 


 So after practing the runs the hard part for me was slowing down my legs.   When you have been on your bike for that distance your legs are now in memory mode.   they had no issue moving but they were moving way to fast.   I concetrated hard on slowing them down so I wouldn't burn myself out.  

It took me 2 miles before I got into a running grove.  My legs wanted to move faster but I knew if I pushed it I wouldn't make it.   Once I got past mile two I was in a groove.   As the miles moved on I started to get more and more tired.  Not issue it was only 6 miles!  I did get there but I had help.  

One of the coolest things about doing events like this is the support group that comes with.   I had my wife and kids, mother and father in-law, brother and sister and law, and a good friend all cheering me on.   It isn't like they get to see you for long either.  You ride, run, or pass by for a second and you are gone.   But knowing so many people had come to watch and support me I wasn't going to give up.   I was going to push until i collapsed (I didn't obviously).   I got about 400 yards from the finish line and my brother in law was waiting.  he started running next to me and talked me through my last little bit while running side by side.   It was an awesome feeling to have so many people.   It is a seriously addictive feeling!   either way I had finished and I was stoked.   I had completed a triathlon which is something I never thought I could or would do!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment